New York / London, 7 November 2014
U2 RETURNS TO THE MTV EMA STAGE
GLOBAL SUPERSTARS U2 TO PERFORM IN GLASGOW ON 9 NOVEMBER
VOTING IS OPEN AT MTVEMA.COM
MTV is proud to announce that U2, one of the greatest rock bands of all time, will perform at the 2014 MTV EMA. The MTV EMA is one of the biggest global music events of the year that celebrates the hottest artists from around the world. This will be the fourth time U2 have been part of the MTV EMA, having performed in Rotterdam in 1997, Stockholm in 2000 and from Berlin’s Brandenburg Gate in 2009. The 2014 MTV EMA will broadcast live to MTV channels worldwide from the SSE Hydro in Glasgow on Sunday, 9 November at 9:00pm CET*.
• U2’s previous MTV EMA appearances include performances of ‘Pop Muzik / Mofo’ in Rotterdam (1997), ‘Beautiful Day’ in Stockholm (2000) and ‘One / Magnificent’ and ‘Sunday Bloody Sunday’ with Jay Z in Berlin (2009).
• Global hip hop superstar Nicki Minaj is set to host the 2014 MTV EMA.
• Enrique Iglesias, Calvin Harris, Charli XCX, Kiesza, Royal Blood, Ariana Grande, Ed Sheeran and Nicki Minaj have been previously confirmed to perform at the 2014 MTV EMA.
• British rock legend Ozzy Osbourne will be honoured with the Global Icon Award and will be in Glasgow to accept his award.
• Fans can vote now for their favourite artists across all 2014 MTV EMA categories at mtvema.com. Voting closes on 8 November 2014 at 11:59pm CET.
• For artwork, press assets and further information please visit press.mtvema.com.
The 2014 MTV EMA sponsored by essence, Europe's No.1 cosmetics brand** and Someone Like Me, a global sex education campaign partnership between Durex and MTV Staying Alive Foundation, will air across MTV’s global network of more than 60 channels reaching nearly 700 million households around the world as well as through syndication. In addition, its convergent programming and content will reach the entire interactive community, via MTV’s more than 200 digital media properties around the world. The 2014 MTV EMA will broadcast on Sunday, November 9th at 9:00PM CET* from the SSE Hydro in Glasgow.
The MTV EMA – one of the biggest global music events of the year – recognizes artists from around the world and across genres, and brings together music fans everywhere for a one-of-a-kind experience in the weeks leading up to and at the show. Bruce Gillmer and Richard Godfrey are Executive Producers for the 2014 MTV EMA. The 2014 MTV EMA marks the first time that the show will be held in Glasgow, Scotland and has received support from Glasgow City Marketing Bureau and EventScotland. Follow @MTVEMA and check #MTVEMA on Twitter and find us on Instagram or Facebook. For MTV EMA news, updates and press materials please visit press.mtvema.com or follow us @VIMN_PR.
*Check local listings.
**Euromonitor, IRI, Nielsen in units 2013
MTV is the world’s premier youth entertainment brand. With a global reach of more than a half-billion households, MTV is the cultural home of the millennial generation, music fans and artists, and a pioneer in creating innovative programming for young people. MTV reflects and creates pop culture with its award-winning content built around compelling storytelling, music discovery and activism across TV, online and mobile. Outside of the United States, MTV is part of Viacom International Media Networks, a division of Viacom Inc. (NASDAQ: VIAB, VIA), one of the world’s leading creators of programming and content across all media platforms.
# # #