New York / London, 29 October 2014
GUITAR LEGEND SLASH AND THE UK’S BEST LIVE BAND BIFFY CLYRO SET TO
ROCK GLASGOW AHEAD OF THE 2014 MTV EMA
ROCK SHOW TO KICK OFF THE MTV EMA WEEKEND AT THE O2 ACADEMY GLASGOW ON 7 NOVEMBER
VOTING IS OPEN AT MTVEMA.COM
MTV today announced that legendary rock guitarist Slash featuring Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators and one of the UK’s biggest rock bands Biffy Clyro will play an intimate show for fans at Glasgow’s iconic O2 Academy on Friday, 7 November ahead of the 2014 MTV EMA, one of the biggest global music events of the year that celebrates the hottest artists from around the world. The intimate gig will be filmed for MTV and broadcast as part of the popular MTV World Stage franchise in more than 160 countries internationally. The 2014 MTV EMA will broadcast live to MTV channels around the world from the SSE Hydro in Glasgow on Sunday, 9 November at 9:00pm CET*.
• “Can't wait to bring the rock back to MTV and World Stage in Glasgow on Nov 7!” – Slash
• “Four words : Biffy!! Slash!! MTV!! Glasgow!! Three words : dream come true!!” – Biffy Clyro
• Tickets will only be available to Slash and Biffy Clyro fans this Friday via TicketWeb. Members of Team Biffy and Slash's mailing list will receive an email with a priority code and full details of how to book. Tickets will be priced at £10 plus booking fee. No tickets will go on general sale.
• This event will be part of MTV Music Week – a series of events that will be staged by MTV throughout Glasgow in the week leading up to the 2014 MTV EMA.
• “World Stage: Slash featuring Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators” and “World Stage: Biffy Clyro” will premiere on MTV channels internationally early next year*.
• MTV World Stage is MTV’s weekly, global live music series that airs across its international network of over 70 channels. Recorded live at the most exclusive gigs, world-renowned music festivals and unique concert locations around the world, MTV World Stage is the front row seat for music lovers to experience the biggest artists without leaving the comfort of their sofas.
• Enrique Iglesias, Calvin Harris, Charli XCX, Kiesza, Royal Blood, Ariana Grande, Ed Sheeran and Nicki Minaj have been previously confirmed to perform at the 2014 MTV EMA.
• British rock legend Ozzy Osbourne will be honoured with the Global Icon Award and will be in Glasgow to accept his award.
• Fans can vote now for their favourite artists across all other 2014 MTV EMA categories at mtvema.com. Voting closes on 8 November 2014 at 11:59pm CET.
• For artwork, press assets and further information please visit press.mtvema.com.
The 2014 MTV EMA sponsored by essence, Europe's No.1 cosmetics brand** and Someone Like Me, a global sex education campaign partnership between Durex and MTV Staying Alive Foundation, will air across MTV’s global network of more than 60 channels reaching nearly 700 million households around the world as well as through syndication. In addition, its convergent programming and content will reach the entire interactive community, via MTV’s more than 200 digital media properties around the world. The 2014 MTV EMA will broadcast on Sunday, November 9th at 9:00PM CET* from the SSE Hydro in Glasgow.
The MTV EMA – one of the biggest global music events of the year – recognizes artists from around the world and across genres, and brings together music fans everywhere for a one-of-a-kind experience in the weeks leading up to and at the show. Bruce Gillmer and Richard Godfrey are Executive Producers for the 2014 MTV EMA. The 2014 MTV EMA marks the first time that the show will be held in Glasgow, Scotland and has received support from Glasgow City Marketing Bureau and EventScotland. Follow @MTVEMA and check #MTVEMA on Twitter and find us on Instagram or Facebook. For MTV EMA news, updates and press materials please visit press.mtvema.com or follow us @VIMN_PR.
*Check local listings.
**Euromonitor, IRI, Nielsen in units 2013
SLASH has amassed album sales of over 100 million copies, garnered a GRAMMY Award and seven GRAMMY nominations and was inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame. Time magazine named SLASH #2, behind Jimi Hendrix, on its “The Ten Best Electric Guitar Players of All-Time” list. SLASH helped create signature sounds like the guitar riff on #1 hits for Guns N Roses “Sweet Child o’ Mine” and “Welcome To The Jungle.” After leaving the band, SLASH went on to critical acclaim with SLASH’s Snakepit and global success with the supergroup Velvet Revolver. SLASH landed on the top of the charts with his first solo album, Slash (2010) which featured Ozzy Osbourne, Fergie and more. SLASH and his band featuring Myles Kennedy and The Conspirators released the critically acclaimed Apocalyptic Love (2012) SLASH and his band released WORLD ON FIRE on 15 September to worldwide acclaim. SLASH’s third straight Top Ten debut album, in major territories across the world - some notable chart entries being #1 in Sweden and Switzerland, #2 in Germany and Australia, #3 Japan; #7 in UK and France and #10 in the USA. Slash featuring Myles Kennedy & The Conspirators' last album, Apocalyptic Love went Gold in Australia and Poland, and Silver in the UK. This release marked the third time Slash did a cooperation in the UK with Classic Rock to release an album as a Fanpack. www.slashonline.com
About Biffy Clyro
Formed in 1995, Biffy Clyro have evolved to become a band who can top album charts, fill arenas and headline festivals such as T in the Park, Reading and Leeds. After releasing three underground albums, Biffy Clyro broke through when 2007’s Puzzle hit #2 on the UK charts and reached Platinum status. Their next album, the Mercury Prize-nominated Only Revolutions (2009), saw Biffy Clyro make a stellar leap forwards into rock’s major leagues. 2013 saw Biffy Clyro step up a gear in terms of both ambition and success. Opposites, a twenty-track double-album, debuted at #1 in the UK as it emerged to the best reviews of the band’s career. The band subsequently embarked upon a UK and Ireland arena and festival tour. Biffy Clyro’s award highlights have included Classic Songwriter (Kerrang!), Best Live Band (NME and Q), Best British Band (NME) and Best Album for ‘Opposites’ (Q and Kerrang!).
MTV is the world’s premier youth entertainment brand. With a global reach of more than a half-billion households, MTV is the cultural home of the millennial generation, music fans and artists, and a pioneer in creating innovative programming for young people. MTV reflects and creates pop culture with its award-winning content built around compelling storytelling, music discovery and activism across TV, online and mobile. Outside of the United States, MTV is part of Viacom International Media Networks, a division of Viacom Inc. (NASDAQ: VIAB, VIA), one of the world’s leading creators of programming and content across all media platforms.
# # #